<< Go back to the previous page

News Letter

Alert message sent 01/03/2022 12:57:00

Information sent on behalf of Sussex Police


Tuesday 1st March 2022


Sussex Police brief Minister on initiatives to combat violence against women and girls

Sussex Police is helping lead the way nationally in its approach to tackling violence against women and girls (VAWG).
 
A range of initiatives proven to be effective were showcased on 24 February during a meeting at the office of Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner (SPCC) Katy Bourne, with Home Office Minister for Safeguarding Rachel Maclean, Hampshire Deputy Chief Constable Maggie Blyth, newly-appointed lead for the national police VAWG strategy.

The picture shows, left to right, Katy Bourne, Rachel Maclean, Maggie Blyth, and Sussex Assistant Chief Constable Tanya Jones.
 
“With the help of our partners across the criminal justice system we are committed to listening to the lived experiences of women and girls in Sussex and making long-lasting change,’ said Tanya Jones.
 
‘We acknowledge many women have experienced violence, abuse or harassment, and this is not acceptable. Protecting our communities is a top priority for Sussex Police, and we will do what it takes to ensure you feel safe wherever you are.”
 
At the meeting Tanya Jones and Superintendents Miles Ockwell and Adele Tucknott set out the force's comprehensive plan to tackle violence against women and girls in Sussex, working together in partnership with local authorities, victim services and charities.
 
Sussex Police initiatives include:
 Specialist investigative teams focussing on investigating the highest risk sexual offences, domestic abuse and stalking cases, including specially trained officers supporting victims using innovative techniques such as discreet video calls:
• Using the Streetsafe app to focus Police patrols where it is most effective to reduce risk, harm, and offences:
• A new team focusing on stalking and harassment, including Stalking Protection Orders, in which Sussex Police lead nationally, alongside dedicated police offender managers in a multiagency stalking perpetrator project to manage high risk stalking perpetrators, focussing on the most dangerous to reduce harm and offending.
The meeting included specialist independent stalking support service Veritas Justice, perpetrator projects managers Interventions Alliance, and sexual offence support service Survivors Network.
As PCC, Mrs Bourne has commissioned a countywide Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Framework and accompanying action plan, which included the appointment and funding Supt Tucknott’s new role as VAWG lead in Sussex Police.
Mrs Bourne has shown that Police and Crime Commissioners can, very quickly, make significant changes and improvements through listening to residents, crime victims and experts to identify where resources need to be deployed. 
 
She said: “We can be very agile and more effective by understanding local needs and designing the most appropriate measures to address them.” 
 
The Minister heard that in the last year, Sussex has successfully bid for monies from the Government’s Safer Streets funds along with extra cash from the Safety of Women at Night (SWAN) fund.
 
Combined, the funds have secured CCTV cameras, better street lighting and physical security measures whilst also enabling innovative programmes such as bystander training and a ground-breaking scheme to re-educate perpetrators of stalking. 
 
Service providers funded by PCC Bourne spoke about the ways in which they assist victims locally, how they help to prevent violence before it happens and how they offer tailored support and advice to survivors of these crimes. 
 
The Minister was impressed with the hard hitting Do The Right Thing campaign supported by well-known Sussex men including musician Norman Cook, actor John Simm, author Peter James and cricketer Tymal Mills. The campaign aims to highlight the role of men and boys in tackling VAWG by raising awareness and focusing on the positive actions they can take. 
 
PCC Katy Bourne demonstrated the brand new Safe Space Sussex App which works in partnership with many national businesses to identify and provide safe spaces across Sussex for people who find themselves in an unsafe situation. 
 
Mrs Bourne said: “We were delighted to have the Minister for Safeguarding visit us to hear about the fantastic work we are delivering in Sussex to tackle violence against women and girls.
 
“The room was filled with people who are totally committed to making our county a safer place. We will all continue to strive for real change leading to improved outcomes for victims, reduced offending, increased education and prevention before it’s too late. 
 
“After all, we can’t keep doing the same thing over again and expect a different outcome so I really welcome the innovative methods adopted by Sussex Police and our partners and their collective determination to change things for the better.”

 Police warning after Horsham resident defrauded of £100,000


Police are warning West Sussex residents to be aware of bogus phone callers after a vulnerable victim of courier fraud from Horsham was scammed out of more than £100,000 by fraudsters pretending to be a police officers.
Posing as a police officer, a fraudster contacted the 84-year-old victim on Saturday 19 February, claiming that she had been the subject of fraudulent activity and needed to forensically analyse the bank notes from her account.
They asked the victim to withdraw around £18,000 and wrap it in newspaper, which would then be collected by a courier who would ask for a password before receiving the package.
Later, the victim was asked to purchase a Rolex watch worth around £40,000 and two gold bullion bars from a website.
However the gold bullion website blocked the first payment and although processing the second attempt, also alerted police to the potential scam.
As the courier was collecting the bullion he was arrested by officers.
Detective Constable Thomas Hawkins said: “This is a truly shocking crime which preys on some of the most vulnerable members of our community who genuinely believe they are speaking with a police officer.
"We fear this person may not be the only one who will have fallen victim to this scam and we are urging anyone who thinks they may have gone through a similar experience to contact us. It is important to reiterate that no police force would ever ask you to withdraw money from an account. If someone claiming to be a police officer asks you withdraw money, call 999 immediately.”
A 17-year-old boy from Tower Hamlets, East London was arrested on suspicion of a fraud by false representation. After being interviewed he was released on conditional police bail until 24 March.
The investigation is continuing and officers believe there could be more people who have fallen victim to a similar type of scam, and would like them to come forward.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Sussex Police either online or by calling 101 quoting Operation Pound.
For further information and advice on how to protect yourselves and those around you, from this and similar types of fraud, see Operation Signature at the Sussex Police website

Fraud News letter:
Please see link to our Fraud News letter here


 
 

Help us keep Sussex safe

If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.

Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org

 
Your local teams

Visit our Website to contact your local team, view local news and follow our social media accounts. Simply type your post code in the 'Find a Local Area' box located in the top right of the web page.

 

Links and attachments: Sussex Police will only ever link you to secure Websites we trust. We will only send you attachments where we believe it is absolutely necessary.
 
Message sent by
Patricia Dejesus (Police, District Engagement Officer, Sussex)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to support@neighbourhoodalert.co.uk.

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.