From Monday 03rd June 2019 your Local Police team will be continuing an operation in your ward area to tackle an increase in reports of street based drug dealing. This is known as Operation Carmel.
We will be focusing on an area encompassing Ravensworth Gardens, Tension Road and Devonshire Road.
Op Carmel is a Police led focus on street based drug dealing in Cambridge City. This work will be undertaken alongside the already high level of Police activity to disrupt identified suspects from county line gangs.
Op Carmel will respond to the communities concerns about County Lines.
That is, the visible affect they can see on their streets in their communities.
We know there has been an increase in concern from the community about street based drug dealing in Cambridge City.
- Take visible action – Using data gathered from crime and incident reporting, Facebook groups, community intelligence and some other Police information systems we will create relevant patrol plans. We will change how we target our team at these locations and how we communicate with the public about what we are doing. We will undertake long term problem solving to target harden the areas against dealers and give the area high levels of policing. We will put in place patrols and seek to talk more to communities, and we will seek to identify any gaps in our intelligence picture.
- Target harden- We will identify specific actions which can be taken to make an area less attractive to dealers.
The objective will be to identify;
1) Corrupted spaces used by dealers (such as public facilities, addresses or spaces)
2) Comfort spaces used by dealers and users.
3) Convergent spaces where dealing and using takes place.
This might include, mobile CCTV, removing visible barriers, increasing lighting or increasing natural surveillance etc.
- Increase confidence and intelligence – Having created a focal point for our activity, we will conduct street based community consultation within a defined area as below to ensure we:
1) Understand problems in that area. We will do this by gathering as much intelligence as possible by conducting house to house enquiries with ASB officers/ street wardens or housing officers. We will either speak to people in their homes or ask them to take an online survey. We will use the online survey to collate all engagement activity.
2) Ensure people know how to report in future. As we talk with people we will input intelligence directly onto the force website with the person, teaching them how to report online. Clarify with people what we do with that information. Help communities understand what we do with the information we provide.
Op Carmel is intended to be underpinned by a strong partnership approach with everyone involved and informed. As we move from community to community there are opportunities to tie in with local action groups, volunteer projects and residents association to help building stronger links. We encourage feedback and views about how the Operation is working.
If you have any information regarding street based drug dealing in this or any other area then please let us know. You can report incidents by calling 101, use the incident on-line reporting tool, via eCops or anonymously by calling crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Anthony Marriott 7288